A crown is an artificial restoration that fits over the remaining part of a prepared tooth, making it strong and giving it the shape and appearance of a natural tooth.
These can be made from Porcelain, Gold, Porcelain fused to precious metal and now the new all ceramic crowns where there is no metalwork at all and have a natural translucency similar to teeth. The choice depends on the desired outcome both functionally and aesthetically.
In constructing a crown, about 1-2mm is trimmed off the tooth, and a mould is taken in a highly accurate impression material. A Temporary crown is made in a plastic material (for a front tooth) or a soft metal (for a posterior tooth). A mould of the opposing teeth is also taken so that the laboratory technician knows how your teeth meet together. The Crown is eventually fitted to the to the tooth with a hard cement.
Porcelain fused to metal crown
All ceramic crown (note the translucency and lack of metal)
- Porcelain Bonded Crown (Precious metal)from £593
- All Ceramic Crown (IPS E-max)from £622
- All Ceramic Crown (Zirconium)from £638
- Gold Shell Crownfrom £593
- Titanium Postfrom £116
- Porcelain Bonded Crown (Precious metal)from £81
- All Ceramic Crown (IPS E-max)from £92
- All Ceramic Crown (Zirconium)from £109
- Gold Shell Crownfrom £109
- Titanium Post
Denplan Essentials 10% Off
- Porcelain Bonded Crown (Precious metal)from £534
- All Ceramic Crown (IPS E-max)from £559
- All Ceramic Crown (Zirconium)from £576
- Gold Shell Crownfrom £534
- Titanium Postfrom £102